Thursday, October 2, 2008

Atticus Revealed


I found chapter 10 very interesting! It revealed a lot about Atticus and his personality. For example, "He did not do the things our schoolmates fathers did: he never went hunting, he did not play poker or fish or drink or smoke. He sat in the living room and read." (Lee p.89) I wonder why he is so much different than the other fathers? Why does he choose to live a different (and frankly, quite boring) life? In chapter 10, it also told us that he used to be a dead-shot among many other things, but he gave that up to be a lawyer and now a "nigger-lover." He didn't even tell his own children about his talent! Atticus' character fascinates me. There are so many questions I want answered about him.



5 comments:

KATTISTROPHIC SYNZ said...

Love the interpretation of Atticus! I am also puzzled by the fact that he is so strange. I mean really who sits at home and reads themself to sleep.

Authority Figure said...

I sit at home and read To Kill A Mockingbird till I fall asleep.

Better Than You said...

"If your father's anything, he's civilized in his heart. Markmanship's a gift a god, a talent--oh, you have to practice to makeit perfect, but shootin's different from playing the piano or the like. I think maybe he put his gun down when he raelized that God had given him and unfair advantage over most living things. I guess he decided he wouldn't shoot till he had to, and he had to today" (98).

He didn't tell because it wasn't important since he didn't practice it anymore.

Genis Sage said...

Well, being different is not always a bad thing. If he'd rather read than do what the other fathers do, that's fine. Of course, since he's a lawyer, he probably doesn't have enough time to go hunting or fishing. Then he most likely goes home tired and he doesn't want to play poker. And what's so important about smoking and drinking anyways? Well, his lifestyle may be boring to you, but I'm sure others would find it very fasinating because they enjoy things like reading.

Authority Figure said...

I would much rather have a fathe rlike atticus. He seems so wise and obviously scout and Jem learn alot from him.